Beautiful People| Emma/ Hester/ Dandelion

NOTE: When I originally posted this, some of the answers didn't save, but it's all fixed now. :) Thank you for your patience!

Hey y'all! I am doing the unheard of this month and:

a) doing Beautiful People TWO MONTHS IN A ROW
b) doing THE SAME NOVEL AS LAST TIME, and
c) doing three characters at once. I'm crazy, I know.


For those of you who don't know, Beautiful People is a monthly writerly link-up for characters hosted by super-bloggers Cait and Sky

So, I introduced you to James and Emma last month, and now I'm here to show you the whole protagonist triumvirate: 

EMMA: You know her. She's a quirky, (Rapunzel retelling!!) bookish, sort-of-Persephone-from-the-Raven-Cycle-by-Maggie-Stiefvater-but-saner character. She owns a bookstore. She's the main character.

HESTER: If Emma's Persephone, Hester is Calla. She's sarcastic and American (oh yeah, the book is set in London by the way) and has a tragic backstory (very tragic, actually. involving an insane little girl and a puzzle company.) and is the Rumpelstiltskin character. I love her. She's pointy.

DANDELION: The Maura of the group, Dandelion is chiller than Hester but more grounded than Emma. Think a mix of Cinder and Scarlet from the Lunar Chronicles. (Spoilers: She's Beauty. As in Beauty and the Beast.) Her grandparents immigrated to England from Africa and her grandmother has amazing cookery skills.

Onto the questions!

What’s their favourite book/movie/play/etc.?

EMMA: Emma's favorite book is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Coincidentally, it's also one of my favorites! 

HESTER: Hester's favorite movie/musical is West Side Story and she sings the Jet Song in the shower. She'll never admit it, but it's true. (Both.)

DANDELION: Dandelion loves the Marvel movies. Because she's sane and they're clearly better than DC. (Note: Mostly just saying that because I have an ongoing feud with my friend about the better superhero franchise. If you like DC better, I'm sure it's awesome! We all have different opinions.)

Is there anything they regret doing?

EMMA: Emma actually hasn't done a lot with her life, what with being stuck in the bookstore and all. She'll always regret not rebelling against Adelaide (the antagonist. I'm also writing her villain backstory and her life is incredibly, incredibly terrible.) sooner, though.

HESTER: The spoilers for this run far too deep to share.

DANDELION: Dandelion has no regrets. Wait, I've given her no tragic backstory. Why would I do such a humane thing? *frowns*

If they were sick or wounded, who would take care of them and how?

All of them would help each other. They all care for each other deeply, they can just (pointedly watching Hester) have a tough time showing it. I mean, Dandelion would also be taken care of by her loving functional family, but she's the oddball here.


Is there an object they can’t bear to part with and why?

EMMA: Not a specific object, just books in general. She loves her collection. Deeply.

HESTER: Near the end, she'll obtain SPOILERY SPOILERY SPOILERS!! yeah, so not telling. *zips mouth shut, even though I'm typing.*

DANDELION: Nah. (Why did I make Dandelion so normal?)

What are 5 ways to win their heart (or friendship)?

I'm just gonna do two for each because there are three of them.
EMMA: Buy her a billion books and then leave.
Make sure she eats/functions/stays alive and really show you care about her. She's never really had parents so it really touches her.

HESTER: Man, just considering her needs as important. Hester is starved of love and family and if you can get past the I don't care vibe/mysterious aura, you are probably okay to enter her world. Probably.
Always be there for her. She's unswervingly loyal and she values that trait highly.

DANDELION: Trust her. Trust her completely. Believe in her.
Surprise her. 

Describe a typical outfit for them from top to bottom.

EMMA: Emma wears blouses and skirts. You might find her with her hair loose, with a pretty white blouse and a powder blue sweater, wearing a long skirt and flats.

HESTER: Probably a dark t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes.

DANDELION: A t-shirt (possibly superhero), tasteful jeans, and flats.

What’s their favorite type of weather?

EMMA: Emma loves sunshine and storms.

HESTER: Hester likes it when it's sort of raining, but not quite. She also quite loves thunderstorms, and goes outside in them, which first worries and then irritates her friends.

DANDELION: Dandelion loves snow.

What’s the worst fight they’ve ever been in?

All three of these are spoilers. I can just tell you that none of them were with each other, although they do argue a lot. Especially Hester and Dandelion.

What names or nicknames have they been called throughout their life?

EMMA: Sometimes the others call her Em.

HESTER: Sometimes the others call her Hest, but that's it. Her parents loved the name Hester and never saw fit to shorten it.

DANDELION: Dandelion itself is a nickname. Her real name is a long, beautiful traditional African name, but she prefers Dandelion.

What makes their heart feel alive?

EMMA: Reading and dreaming.

HESTER: Being outside in a thunderstorm.

DANDELION: Breaking and entering, which she'll only discover over the course of this book. :)


_________________________________________________________________________________

Whew! That was long! What do you think of my characters? Tell me in the comments, and be sure to link to your Beautiful People posts!





Comments

  1. I love the names! (well, Hester and Dandelion anyway; I mean, Emma is nice, but not as cool as the other two.) Ooh, I know why Dandelion is normal - because with a name like that, she'd HAVE to be normal, otherwise it's to much of a good thing. Besides, then she can have existential angst about not living up to her name. What happened to the rest of the answers though? (also, totally off topic, but are you having problems commenting on the wordpress blogs in the link-up? Because none of my comments are showing up on them...just thought I'd check with a fellow blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh... that's odd, I answered them. I'll have to check on blogger.

      Curses! It didn't save! Stay tuned, I'll get around to finishing it. :)

      Thank you so much! I'm not having trouble commenting, though oddly I wasn't notified of your comment. (I don't know if I've reached any wordpress blogs, actually...sorry!)

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love how you did it from all three characters' perspectives. I can totally relate with feeling odd because of making a character without a traumatic backstory; it doesn't happen often! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah, it was odd--it was like, what happened? How is she a functional normal person? :)

      Delete
  3. *Gasp*
    A fairy tale retelling? I started off my story as a retelling of sleeping beauty, but the characters have a mind of their own, so it went a different direction...
    I love the Lunar Chronicles!
    Also, Hester sounds so cool.

    -Mary Kate-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary Kate! This is a reply, blogspot is just being finicky and not letting me reply directly.

    Thank you so much! I know what you mean. I once started a short play called Queens (it was terrible, by the way. I think I wrote it in fourth grade AKA ancient history.) only to realize partway through it was a Snow White retelling. :) Also I started this with absolutely no idea what was going to happen, just the knowledge that there was a bookshop involved.

    OH MY GOSH LUNAR CHRONICLES IS AMAZING. I could fangirl all day, honestly. :) I'm getting Wires & Nerves soon and I'm SO. EXCITED. Have you cried over (cough, cough--I mean read) Heartless?

    THANK YOU SO MUCH. Writerly encouragement means so much! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY COW!! You referenced The Raven Cycle AND Lunar Chronicles?! They're both spectacular series.

    Also, interesting concept you have here. Love how each person is based on a different fairy tale character. I'm intrigued by Hester (Rumpelstiltskin, you say?)! Actually, all of your characters sound interesting. Also, the names are lovely.

    Oh, and here's my Beautiful People post: http://musingswithoutfocus.blogspot.com/2017/03/beautiful-people-march-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Also, THANK YOU FOR KNOWING THE RAVEN CYCLE. :) Very few people I've come into contact with do.

      Thanks again! Hester's story is very...complicated.

      I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Types of OTPs

What's in a name?